Although GoldSim’s intuitive interface will tempt you to simply dive in and start playing with the software, you are strongly discouraged from doing so, even if you are an experienced modeler. Spending an hour or so up front (by following the steps outlined below) is the quickest and most effective way to understand the software’s features and capabilities and start building models in GoldSim.
1. Take the GoldSim Tutorial. The GoldSim Tutorial is available via the Tutorial button on the Start dialog (displayed whenever GoldSim is run), or by selecting Help | Tutorial from the main GoldSim menu. The GoldSim Tutorial presents the basic concepts on which GoldSim is based and provides an overview of GoldSim’s key features and capabilities. After taking the Tutorial (which takes about 2 hours), you will have sufficient understanding to start using the software, and will get more out of the information presented in the Help topics.
2. Request your free one hour web-based training session. If you have already purchased GoldSim (or if you are evaluating GoldSim in order to determine if you want to purchase the software), you are entitled to a free one hour, live web-based training session in which one of our analysts provides an interactive training session via the Internet and telephone. You are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this free training. (Note, however, that we cannot provide this training to users who have free Academic licenses).
3. Read “Building a Model in GoldSim”. This section of GoldSim Help (equivalent to Chapter 3 of the GoldSim User’s Guide) describes the GoldSim user interface and presents all of the basic techniques required to build a model. Reading it will reinforce the concepts that were introduced in the Tutorial and provide you with the procedural knowledge required to navigate the interface and utilize GoldSim's basic features.
4. Open and explore the Example Files. When you install GoldSim, a folder labeled "General Examples" is installed in the same directory as the program. (You can quickly access these files by selecting File|Open Example… from the main GoldSim menu). This directory contains example model files showing how to use each of the elements (the examples are referenced in the Help system and User’s Guide where the element is introduced). These example model files are an excellent way to begin to experiment with GoldSim. While exploring the files, use GoldSim’s context-sensitive Help (i.e., the Help button in each dialog) to access a detailed discussion of the element.
5. Download Example Files from the Model Library. The GoldSim Wiki contains a model library with a number of models illustrating how GoldSim can be used for particular applications. These models tend to be more complex than the simple example files found in the General Examples folder, but still relatively simple. Again, while exploring the files, use GoldSim’s context-sensitive Help (i.e., the Help button in each dialog) to learn more about particular elements or features utilized in the model.
6. Browse the User’s Guide or Help System. GoldSim has a large number of features, and you will not discover all of them by experimenting with simple example models. To fully utilize GoldSim’s powerful features, browse through the User’s Guide (available as a PDF file), using the index and table of contents as your guide. Each section of the User’s Guide is heavily cross-referenced, so it is easy to just jump around. Note that the Help system contains all of the contents of the User’s Guide, with the exception of the technical appendices.
7. Contact us with questions. When you purchase GoldSim, you are entitled to 1 year of free email support (firstname.lastname@example.org). This does not include assistance in building and debugging your models, but it does include answering questions on how to use GoldSim’s features, so feel free to contact us!
8. Attend a training workshop. The GoldSim Technology Group puts on 2 and 3 day training workshops on the use of GoldSim. This is an excellent way to quickly become an effective GoldSim modeler. To view more information on our website regarding training workshops, click here